Friday, April 4, 2008

Trip to Huaraz

Carhuaz
A cemetary that was constructed in Yungay after an avalanche. Over 16,000 were killed in Yungay alone (in the 70s)
Me, Karla, and Lauren on a boat at Llaganuco Laguna
Me in some catacombs in Chavin.


Do not be afraid of sudden terror, nor of trouble from the wicked when it comes; for the Lord will be your confidence, and will keep your foot from being caught. - Proverbs 3:25-26


Well, I have never blogged before, so we will see how this thing works. Anyhow, I got back this morning from Huaraz with two of my roommates (Lauren and Julie) and a student of ours (Karla). We had a wonderful time enjoying God's creation in the Andes.


When we were driving up to Huaraz, a city in the mountains, on Monday night, our bus was hit head on by a car. Four out of five of the passengers died at the scene of the collision, and the fifth, a baby, died on Wednesday in the hospital. The experience was overwhelming when it happened, all very surreal. No one on the bus was hurt, and I know that God was protecting and watching over us as it could have been much worse.


After waiting for seven hours out in the middle of nowhere for the car to be removed from under the bus, and the bodies to be removed also, we were finally able to board a new bus. The Andes were the perfect place to regain our composure following this event. I saw so much incredible scenery. I felt like Braveheart was going to come running and screaming over the mountains at some time. : )


Each night we girls would share something from our Bibles and pray together. One thing that stuck out at me that I shared with the girls is this from Isaiah 66:1. It says, " Heaven is My throne, and earth is My footstool. Where is the house that you will build Me? And where is the place of My rest?" How great and glorious is our God when He makes mountains that are over 22,000 feet elevation His footstool? When creation is so full of His glory that it takes our breath away (literally... whether we want our breath to be taken away or not), the glory of God himself is far beyond my capacity to imagine.


I thank you all for your prayers. In the words of Kip: Peace out.

Becky

3 comments:

The Browns said...

Dearest Becky,
I was so excited to see your photos and read about some of your adventures. I am so sorry to hear about the tragic bus incident. We will continue to keep you in our prayers. Love, Auntie Lorna

Traci Vanderbush said...

Wow, Becky! What an incredible experience. Thanks for sharing those pictures and scriptures. I'm so glad that you were safe in that crash.

The Browns said...

Thanks for the picts, Becky. I'm glad you are safe, but we should pray for the family that lost their loved ones, also...
Love, Uncle Larry>